Following our post  on NASU & SSANU threats of  nationwide strike ,the Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU) and Non-Academic Staff Union(NASU)  Federal University of Technology Owerri chapter today began a  demand to N30 billion Earned Allowance and Federal Government’s refusal to obey court judgment on staff school salaries.

The peaceful protest which drew scores of affected workers around the schools round about affected smooth vehicular movements in and out of the school premises.


The protesting workers were armed with placards with inscriptions such as “We demand N30 billion to pay part of our earned allowance now”;We demand the RE-commitment of Re-negotiation of 2009 FGN/Unions agreements without further delay ”; SSANU demand FG compliance to court judgment on Staff School” among others.

Last week, the national authorities of both associations frowned at the alleged preferential treatment extended to the Academic Staff Union(ASUU)  by the federal government, as seen in the 80 percent allocation of money transferred to the union, leaving non-academic staff at 20 percent.

Read also : University workers begin nation wide protest Ahead of Monday Strike.


In a resolution reached after the meeting, read by the president of the JAC and the president of the Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU) country, companion Samson Ugwoke, university workers without a teaching dropped a 20-percent allowance granted to three unpaired associations.

The JAC called on the federal government to urgently issue N30 billion of non-pedagogy workers' allowances in 2009-2016.

Ugwoke, who stressed that the protest aimed to send a strike notice to the federal government, called on its members to ensure full compliance with the directive to show its relevance to the university system.

He said: "The recent sharing of money from the Ministry of Education, signed by the Director of Higher Education, which has allocated 80 percent of the money to Academic Staff Union(ASUU) and only 20 percent to three unions that are not teachers, is unacceptable to us.

Read also : How to start an Ecommerce Business on a low budget.


"We reject a total of 20 percent of our members, or rather we demand a federal sum of N30 billion as part of the Non-Pedagogical Work Allowance from 2009 to 2016 and we call on the government to speed up university control Earned benefits so that we know how much is paid to whom and how much remains.

"The way and method of sharing money against all known accounting procedures, all known international best practices should be condemned by everyone, it is rather a scam. This house is called a fraud and calls for an investigation.

"We urge and urge the government to release urgently N30 billion for non-teachers

"JAC approved the protests of the troops, the protests in the zones of our unions and the mother of all protests in Abuja for three days before the government receives a deadline for the mother of all strikes that will follow. The protest will start on Monday, July 15, 2019 - he said.

Read also : A guide to an exceptional performance for your next interview.


Updated on 2:46-am June 1, 2023

Related Posts